1. The author in this verse pays obeisance to all the upgrahas viz., (1) Mandi (Gulika), (2) Yamakantaka. (3) Ardhaprahara, (4) Kala, (5) Dhooma, (6) Patha or Vyatlpatl, (7) Parldhi, (8) Indra Dhanus and (9) Ketu or Upketu.
2. When the duration of the day is 30 ghatikas, the positions of Mandi or Gulika on the week days counting from Sunday onwards is at the end of 26, 22, 18, 14, 10, 6, 2 ghatikasa (from Sunrise) during day time. These figures have to be proportionately increased or diminished according to the duration of the day chosen is greater or less than 30 ghatikas. At night (from Sunset) the positions of
the lord of the seven muhurtas are counted not from the lord of the week day chosen; but that of the 5th. The position of mandi at night will be different on the week days viz., at the end of 10, 6, 2, 26, 22, 18 and 14 respectively.
3. The position of Yamakantaka during day time on week days is at the end of ghatikas 18, 14,10. 6, 2, 26 and 22; of Ardhapranara, at the end of Ghatikas 14, 10, 6, 2, 26, 22 and 18.
4. The position of Kala on the week days counting from Sunday onwards is at the end of Ghatikas 2, 26. 22, 13, 14, 10 and 6, respectively during day time. These figures have, as already stated for Mandi, to be proportionately changed and their exact positions fixed as in the case of Lagna.
5. The position of Dhuma is ascertained by adding 4 signs, 13° and 20′ to the longitude of the Sun. The position of Vyatlpata will be found if the longitude of Dhuma is substracted from 12 signs. The position of Paridhi (or Parivesha) can be found by adding 6 signs to the figure of Vyatipata. The position of Indra Dhanus (or Indra Chapti) is calculated by substracting longitude of Paridhi from 12 signs.
The position of Upaketu is to be found out by adding 16 degrees and 40 minutes to the figure of Indra Dhanus. Upaketu increased by one sign wil give the longitude of the Sun.
Notes — We will illustrate the above by giving an example:
6. In the chapter on ‘houses’ the effects of these have already been described in a collective manner. It is only the effects on the houses of those that have been left out there, will be described here in detail.
7. Nevertheless, some special effects of Gulika (Mandi) and other Upagrahas which have been described by the ancient learneds, are enumerated here iri brief.
8. If Gulika be in the Lagna, the native will be a thief, cruel and devoid of politeness. He will not be very fat. He will have defects in his eyes. He will have few issues and little intelligence. He will not take interest in the study of Vedas and Shastras. He will eat much but will be unhappy . He does not live long. He will be of angry temperament, stupid and a coward. He will be lustful and deprived.
9. If Gulika be in the 2nd house, the native will not have a pleasant manner of speech. He will be quarrelsome and will ever remain short of wealth and grain. He will mostly live away from his native place. He will not stick to his word and will be incapable of discussing things in which the use of intellect is necessary.
10. If Gulika be in the 3rd house, the native will be greedy and voitable. He will generally like to lead a lonely life. He will be very fond of liquors. He will get little happiness from brothers and sisters.
He will be fearless and devoid of sorrow. He exhibits ostentation in the acquistion of wealth.
11. If Gulika be In the 4th house, the native will be without relations and wealth. He is deprived of comforts of conveyances.
If Gulika be in the 5th house, the native will be badly disposed and fickle minded. He will be short lived.
If Gulika be in the 6th house, the native takes interest in demonology. He will be brave and will vanquish his enemies. He will be blessed with a son possessing good qualities.
12. If Gulika be in the 7th house, the native will be quarrelsome and a public enemy. He will be dull minded, some what of angry temperament and ungrateful. He will have many wives.
13. If Gulika be in the 8th house, the native will be short statured. He will have a deformed face and impaired eyes.
If Gulika be in the 9th house the native will be devoid of elderly relations or preceptor and children.
If Gulika be in the 10th house, the native does not perform auspicious or good deeds and will not be charitable.
If Gulika be in the 11th house, the native will be happy, powerful and lustreful. He will also be blessed with children.
14. If Gulika be in the 12th house the native will have no liking for sexual pleasures. He will be poor and incur heavy expenditure.
The Janma Lagna or Janma Rasi of the native will be a sign that is triangular to that occupied by Gulika or the navamsa indentical with the one occupied by Mandi.
15. If Gulika be associated with the Sun, The native will have a father who will be the cause of the death of his father. If Gulika be with the Moon, the mother of the native will be in distress. If Gulika be with Mars, the native will be separated from his brothers. If Gulika be with Mercury, the native will become insane.
16. If Gulika be conjoined with Jupiter, the native will be a blasphemous heretic.
If Gulika be associated with Venus, the native will enjoy the company of low class women.
If Gulika be with Saturn the native will be afflicted with leprosy and will be short lived.
17. If Gulika be with Rahu, the native will suffer from a disease caused by poison.
If Gulika be with Ketu the native will meet with a fine accident.
If Gulika’s time on any week day be synchronous with the Tyajykala on the that day, the person born then, though a king will become a begger.
18. The association of Gulika always causes evil effects. Wherever Yamakantaka is associated good has to be expected.
19. White Gulika is very powerful in causing evil, Yamakantaka is powerful in causing good. All the other upagrahas possess only half the power that Mandi has in causing evil.
20. In producing effects Gulkia is similar to Saturn, Yamakantaka is like Jupiter. Ardhaprahara acts like Mercury and Kala is like Rahu.
21. Kala’s effects will be just like Rahu, while Gulika is likely to cause death, Yamakantaka will produce beneficial results. Ardhaprahara’s effects will be good if it is posited in a house with many benefic bindus. Its effects will be bad if it occupies an inauspicious house.
22. According to Parasara if the other houses along with their lords be conjoined with Dhuma and other upagrahas, these houses will be destroyed.
23. Dhuma will always cause trouble from heat, danger from fire and mental agony. Yamakantaka in the same position will cause danger from horned animals or death through qudrupeds.
24. Paridhi or parvesh will create fear of water and the native will suffer from watery diseases. He will suffer from imprisonment. Indrachapa or Indra Dhanus will get the native hit by a stone and wounded by weapons. He will also suffer humiliation.
25. Ketu or Upaketu will cause hit, a fall etc., and loss in the native’s business. He will also be in danger from thunder.
The effects described above will be denried during the dasa period of the planet owning the house occupied by the upagraha.
26. The effects of Upaketu in the 12 houses from Lagna will respectively be (1) short life, (2) ugliness, (3) valour, (4) unhappiness and distress, (5) loss of issues, (6) disturbance of the mind caused by enemies, (7) decay of sexual power, (8) loss of life by indulgence in sinful activities, (9) opposition to virtuous life, (10) wanderings, (11) gains and (12) committing faults.
27. The five upagrahas Dhuma etc., traverse the sky are not visible. If at any time they are visible any where they foreshadow evil to the world.
28. Some say that Dhuma resembles the shape of fume clouds, while others have described it as a star having a tail. Vyatipata is like the fall of a meteor and Parvesha or Paridhi is a halo or disc round the Sun or the Moon.
29. Indra Dhanus is the well known rainbow that is generally seen in the sky during the advent of rain. Ketu is Dhumaketu causes calamity to the world.
30. If the lord of the house occupied by Gullka be endowed with strength and occupies a kendra, a trikona, his own house or his sign of exaltation or a friendly house, the native will enjoy extremely favourable results. He will own chariots (good conveyances), elephants and horses, will be as beautiful as cupid, will be held in great esteem, will be very famous and will rule the world.