Kalsarpa Yoga |kalasarpa dosha and Remedies
Kalsarpa yoga: literally means “Serpent of time”. Basically this yoga is formed when all the seven planets get trapped between Rahu and Ketu. This can happen in two ways
- When all the planets are between Rahu and Ketu. This is known as “Udit Golaardh” meaning ascending hemisphere. This is also known as “Grassit” yoga.
- When all the planets are between Ketu and Rahu.. This is known as “Anudit Golaardh” meaning discending hemisphere. This is also known as “Mukta” yoga.
The right way to understand which of the 2 ways this dosha is operating is to see by the motion of planets. Rahu and Ketu move clockwise being always retrograde while rest of the planets move in an anticlockwise direction. If the planets are moving away from Rahu, then they are considered between Rahu and Ketu. But if the planets are moving into Rahu (as if Rahu is swallowing them) then the planets are between Ketu and Rahu.
Read about: Different Types & Formations of KALASARPA YOGA
Cancellation of Kalsarpa Yoga
It is to be noted here that if a plant joins either Rahu or Ketu in any house then this yoga gets cancelled. This is true irrespective of the degrees of the joining planet in the house of Rahu or Ketu. E.g. let’s say all the planets are between Rahu and Ketu, but Rahu is joined by Mars. Let’s further assume that the Rahu is at 15 degress and Mars is at 23 degrees. Now from astronomy perspective Mars still lies between Rahu and Ketu, but from Vedic astrology perspective the yoga gets cancelled. Same is the case if Mars is at 14 degrees in the same house.
Types of Kalsarpa Yoga
Depending on where the position of Rahu/Ketu in the chart is, various types of yoga form.
Annant Kalsarpa Yoga
When rahu is in the first House and Ketu in the seventh house and the rest of the planets are left to this axis the Yoga which arises is the Anant Kalsarpa Yoga. This is also called as Vipareeta Kalsarpa Yoga opposite Kalsarpa yoga. Though this yoga has the power to give windfall gains to the native, it is bad for marital life. Generally natives with this yoga get married late in life or can have problems in marriage life. There could be problems to business or business partner as well. If the native becomes very hardworking and pay attention to personal development, then this yoga can actually create a lot of good results. Life will be full of struggle but theough the power of self-effort , the native can go very high.
Read about: RAJA YOGAS in Vedic Astrology
Kulik Kalsarpa Yoga
When Rahu occupies the second house and Ketu the eighth house Kulik Kalsarpa Yoga arises. This combination is bad for health. There could be diseases of the sexual nature or of the private parts. This is bad for financial prosperity too. The native is worried on account of an insecure financial standing. They may get into business problems and may face problems in accumulating money. The native may also misuse his interest in occult practices.
Vasuki Kalsarpa Yoga
When Rahu occupies the third house and Ketu the ninth house and the rest of the planets are located to the left of the Rahu Ketu axis this yoga is formed. The native may have to struggle a lot to stand on his own feet and get recognition and status in life. There could be sudden strokes of fortune or misfortune and sudden gains. The positive effects will come only if the overall chart is very strong and there are no malefic aspects on either 9th house or 9th lord.
Read about: Kemadruma Yoga in Vedic Astrology
Shankpaal Kalsarpa Yoga
When Rahu occupies the 4th house and Ketu the 10th and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. The native may have to face difficulties for domestic happiness, general happiness, comfort and conveyance. The native gets trouble relating to work, progeny, health and marriage. However this yoga also has the power of conferring high political success and windfall gains if Sun and 10th house are strong and are being aspected by benefics.
Padam Kalsarpa Yoga
When Rahu occupies the fifth house and Ketu the eleventh house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. The native struggles on account of children and education. The native may feel emotionally insecure due to lack of apparent love from others. There could be delay in getting children. The native should stay away from extra marital affairs as illegitimate children can destroy his/her life. There are also chances of being let down/betrayed by near and dear ones. The native must try to develop a balanced outlook in life.
Mahapadam Kalsarpa Yoga
This yoga is formed when Rahu is in the 6th house and Ketu is in the twelfth house and rest of the planets fall in between. The native has secret enemies and has problems in relation to one’s occupation. The native may develop a negative tendency to play with the law of the land and may get into serious troubles on account of this tendency. However if this yoga acts beneficially it has the power to confer power and political success.
Takshak Kalsarpa Yoga
When Rahu is in the seventh house and Ketu in the first house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. There may be difficulties regarding health, love affairs, progeny and marriage. There will be a lot of struggle in life and success will come only after a lot of hard work and difficulties. This is also not a good position for business partnerships as well as relations with opposite sex. The native must focus on his people skills if this yoga is present.
Read about: Guru Chandala Yoga – Guru & Rahu conjunction
Karkotak Kalsarpa Yoga
When Rahu occupies the eighth house and Ketu the second house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. The native is short tempered and has many enemies. There may be dirty habits like smoking, drinking and use of abusive language. This could also be the result of bad company the native like to keep. There could be health problems and lack of harmony. There is also danger of getting into sudden accidents.
Shankachood Kalsarpa Yoga
When Rahu occupies the ninth house and Ketu is in the 3rd house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. Natives who have this yoga in the chart go through many ups and downs in life. The progress in life takes a very bumpy road. Luck may elude the native. Relations with father and siblings may also be strained. Native should stay away from the activities which may earn him bad name in the society.
Ghatak Kalsarpa Yoga
When Rahu is in tenth house and Ketu in the fourth house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. There could be problems related to one’s profession. There could be sudden ups and downs in one’s profession. The native must stay away from getting in to trouble with seniors at work. There could be general unhappiness in native’s life. It could be due to problems at work, debt or some bad habits.
Vishdhar Kalsarpa Yoga
When Rahu occupies the eleventh house and Ketu the fifth house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. The native must stay away from gambling and other forms of speculations. Problems may also arise from progeny and education. The native must stay away from egoistical attitude as that may mar his chances of good name in the society.
Read about: Gajakeshari Yoga and Its Results
Sheshnag Kalsarpa Yoga
When Rahu occupies the twelfth house and Ketu the 6th house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. The native may become very selfish and may also get into troubles with authorities because of this. The native may have problems relating to litigation. This yoga may also give bad health. However this yoga takes the native to a far off place for settlement.
How to Analyze Kalsarpa Yoga
Contrary to popular belief the effects of this Yoga are not always malefic. Just having one of the 12 combinations described above does not mean that the native will invariably go through the results described above. The whole chart needs to be analyzed in order to come to a conclusion. In my experience following factors should be considered.
- One must check the overall strength of the chart by looking at Lagna, Lagna lord, Moon and Sun. If the overall chart is strong this will not let the Kalsarpa yoga have any major negative influence. A weak chart on the other hand will not be able to protect the native.
- Depending on the Rahu/Ketu position, determine which side of the axis has all planets. All the houses of the side which is totally empty will feel the effects of this yoga. The houses in which Rahu/Ketu fall will particularly determine the area of life which will be impacted negatively.
- However if the lord of the houses falling on the empty side of the Rahu/Ketu are very well placed (Exalted, in Friend’s house, in own house, aspecting their own house). Then those houses will not suffer that much and negative effect will be reduced to the factors attributed to those houses.
- Vasuki, Padam, Mahapadam, Shankachood and Vishdhar Kaalsarpa yoga generally do not give bad results if the overall chart is in a really bad shape. This is because of their association with 3rd, 6th and 11th house in which Rahu/Ketu are considered favorable.
- If in D-9 chart Rahu/Ketu fall in 3rd, 6th or 11th house, then the effects are reduced.
- One must check the constellations of Rahu/Ketu as well. If they fall in benefic constellations (if the lords are natural benefic planets) then they become more unfavorable.
- Its impact will be more prominent during dasha and antardasha periods of Rahu and Ketu. This is very important point. If this yoga is very strong in one’s chart, but the dasha does not operate till very late in his life, then it really does not effect the native that much.
- It causes severe hardships when related with Sun and Saturn or the lords of the houses occupied by Sun or Saturn.
Read about: Yogas and Doshams in Vedic Astrology
Remedies for Kalsarpa yoga
Remedy for Kalsarpa yoga is a controversial subject. However in my humble experience the following are known to have brought relief.
- Recite Lord Shiva’s mantra “Om Namah Shivay” 108 times daily.
- Recite Mahamritunjaya mantra daily. Everytime a bad thought comes to your mins or you see things going in the wrong direction, recite this mantra
- Keep fast for 16 Mondays.
- Give Blue or Brown cloth, wheat, mirror, sesame seeds, oil, iron and blanket towards charity
- Aviod wearing black clothes.
Source: vedicscholar Tags: kala sarpa dosha, kala sarpa yoga, kalasarpa dosham, kalasarpa yoga, kaal sarp, kala sarpa dosha remedies, kala sarpa dosha effects, Kalasarpa Dosha types and their effects, what is kala sarpa dosha,effects of the Kalasarpa yoga, Remedies of Kaal sarpa yoga, 12 types of kalasarpa dosha, sarpa dosha and marriage, kala sarpa dosha parihara, sarpa dosha parihara, astrological influence, indian astrology, kalasarpa dosha, kalasarpa yoga, karmic astrology, karmic influence, ketu, moon nodes, north node, rahu, rahu ketu future transits, rahu ketu peyarchi, rahu ketu transition, south node, types of kalasarpa yoga, vedic astrology